Friday 25 May 2012

Frisky & Mannish

Last night I felt something. I felt sad that I’d lived for twenty seven years of my live and never before experienced the intense rush of joy that comes from seeing a Frisky and Mannish show. Well now I have!





















I have always been a big fan of pop music; I used to have Smash Hits delivered to my house every Saturday morning when I was younger (and cried once when it didn’t arrive, but let’s move on) and could regurgitate all kinds of ridiculous facts about the latest new group, to the chagrin of my friends. I’d say my musical tastes have broadened somewhat since then, although still mostly contained in the Top 40, but pop music has a special place in my heart.

Only too aware of this, my housemate (and good friend) bought us tickets to see Frisky and Mannish at the E4 Udderbelly on London’s south bank last night. This act is hard to describe, but I’ll attempt - a seamless mélange of cabaret and live music under a big canopy of PARODY. There.

The female, Laura Corcoran, has a stunningly versatile voice, sliding through imitations of Lana Del Rey, Gloria Estefan and even Dannii Minogue effortlessly. Matthew Floyd Jones, the other half of the duo reminds me of a skinny Jake Shears of the Scissor Sisters (most probably due to his impressive vocal range!). But most of all, they are FUN.

The hour long show was stitched together by a fictional dialogue between Millie and Caggie of Made in Chelsea; a ridiculously brainless exchange of ‘yah’s and ‘nee’s that anyone could laugh along to and this was interspersed with skits and hits to get the audience clapping and warbling along.

Favourite parts: A very original cover of Rihanna’s ‘Rude Boy’ in the style of the BeeGees, The Carpenters… a griiiime remix and Dannii Minogue’s enthusiastic remake of Gotye’s ‘Somebody That I Used to Know’ (a sound so convincing that Scott Mills of Radio 1 told listeners that the Gotye version was a cover of Dannii’s original!).

And lastly… who do you think was dragged onto stage to shake a pair of maracas to the Gloria Estefan medley?

ME.

Katie Matey on Twitter -- Katie Matey on Bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment